Sunday, July 5, 2015

Standing in the Wake - Manhattan Beach Pier

Surfer, Manhattan Beach sunset


Standing in the Wake 

What do you do when you are photographing an overshot location? For one always try shooting in the best light possible. You can shoot the same shot on different days and have it look completely different based on that alone. However I always try and add something else to my shot, whether it be an interesting foreground element or something else of interest. In this case, the surfer adds balance to the right side of the shot, with the pier on the left and the sunset right down the center. When I noticed that he was standing still for quite some time, I knew I wanted to get some nice water motion to go along with the shot so I composed and took a few longer exposures as the waves rolled in. Luckily he stood still and I was able to also capture an exposure for the sky. I then blended the two shots and the result is what you see here. You can always bring a model along but I find it to be more satisfying being a candid shot, your preference may vary.
 
Nikon D750, Nikkor 20mm 1.8, f/11, ISO-64, blend of 1/5 sec and 1/30 sec. 


www.bay-photography.com


No comments:

Post a Comment

Brandon Yoshizawa
B.A.Y | photography
Landscape and Wildlife photography
http://www.bay-photography.com/