Saturday, July 11, 2015

Scalability - Palos Verdes sea cave

Human and cave sunset, Palos Verdes


Here is the other Palos Verdes cave image I promised to post this week. As a landscape photographer I don't care for random people in my shot unless they are carefully positioned. A human element can add such an impact to a scene and more importantly provide a sense of scale which is often lost in a wide angle shot of something massive like a cave or a huge waterfall. This was shot just as the clouds started lighting up near sunset and I was hugging the left side of the wall to be able to see the rock formation on the outside of the cave. As I was shooting, a person walked out to the edge and started snapping pictures with his phone so I quickly took several shots of different exposures until he left. I ended up choosing one that had some nice water motion in the foreground. This shot also gives you an idea of how to get out here. At low tide you can pretty much just walk around the rocks and into the cave. At high tide, you have to climb down the rocks from where the guy is standing and rush into the cave in between sets. Definitely a fun place to shoot.
 
 
Nikon D750, Nikkor 20mm 1.8, f/8, 1/8 sec, ISO-160
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Brandon Yoshizawa
B.A.Y | photography
Landscape and Wildlife photography
http://www.bay-photography.com/