Monday, June 24, 2013

Supermoon

I headed out to the Griffith Observatory last night to check out the supermoon. Media always hypes it up and the observatory is always packed. Last time I tried to go, I wasn't able to get to my location in time. This time, I was there but needed to be down the hill further, as I want a shot of the moon coming up directly behind the observatory. I'll have to check out the next one and find a way to climb the hill where I need to be ahead of time.

Haven't really shot the moon too many times so still learning. I tried to shoot some multi-exposure shots to combine in post processing but realized that the moon moves pretty significantly from my 2 shots. Next time I'll have to up the ISO to increase the shutter speed.

There was a decent sunset behind me, facing west towards the Hollywood sign.
hollwwood hills sunset los angeles

Moon rising....I needed to be a few hundred yards to my left to get it coming up behind the observatory. The moon didn't appear nearly as big as it did last year either.
supermoon rising over griffith observatory

Single exposure shot of the moon, the observatory, and Los Angeles. supermoon over griffith observatory and los angeles

It was pretty hazy and smoggy so wasn't the best of days to shoot. Maybe next time I'll get the shot I actually have been wanting for some time now. I guess I can just chalk it up to experience.

Brandon Yoshizawa
B.A.Y | photography
Landscape and Wildlife photography
www.bay-photography.com

No comments:

Post a Comment

Brandon Yoshizawa
B.A.Y | photography
Landscape and Wildlife photography
http://www.bay-photography.com/