Wednesday, October 4, 2017

Owens Valley Radio Observatory Milky Way



Here’s my take on the Owens Valley Radio Observatory. Initially I was planning to shoot one of the radiotelescopes up close as a prominent element in my shot but exploring the area in the day allowed me to re-think my composition. Since these instruments are used partly to study hydrogen clouds in the MW, I made the MW the prominent feature of this photo. I thought about shooting the foreground at twilight but decided I wanted to shoot the radiotelescope at night as I feel the light helps portray the vision of this shot. I caught it as it was pointing straight up towards the MW and fired off as many shots as I could as I know this thing constantly moves and rotates. I then picked 4 shots where I was able to catch no movement and stacked them. Since I was far away with my 50mm lens, I did not need to focus blend this shot. The radiotelescope may look small in this shot, but that was the plan to scale it to the Milky Way above. If you want a sense of scale, there is a building to the right of the array. 

Nikon D750, Nikkor 50mm 1.8, f/1.8, 8 sec, ISO-6400

www.bay-photography.com

No comments:

Post a Comment

Brandon Yoshizawa
B.A.Y | photography
Landscape and Wildlife photography
http://www.bay-photography.com/